Friday, July 3, 2009

***in which we reflect each week on one of the fruits of the holy spirit***

In contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such there is no law.~Galatians 5:22-23

Kindness is the word of the day. Namely, the kindness of friends when you ask for advice.

I am loathe to ask for advice, in part because I hate doling it out. And I hate doling it out because I believe I am not qualified to make a decision for anyone else in their life. So having children has been a challenge for me, because there are a lot of times when a book or the internet just doesn't seem to have the answer and I am stuck asking friends how they got through the toddler hitting his sister or picky eaters. But over the past years, my friends have been downright gracious when I have asked advice about parenting, marriage or anything else. They have been clear that there is not necessarily a universal right answer (which I knew, but it's always nice to be reminded) and been willing to listen and share their experiences. For me, the fact that they are not critical and genuinely willing to help is the greatest act of kindness of it all because it shows a caring of others' situations.

Sorry for such a short post, but I plan on covering more on kindness next week...

No comments: