Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Loving Where You Are

I have a co-worker who is obsessed with having the "perfect" family. You know which one I am talking about, the one with exactly two children, one of each sex, spaced perfectly apart.

Because this co-worker also has bi-polar tendencies (as several people have mentioned in passing after certain events) I keep my opinion to myself when she shares. But here is what I think.

No family is perfect. But all families are perfect in their own way. I have two children. A girl and a boy. They are fourteen-months apart. We live in a small home we own in a suburb. But we are NOT perfect. We are, however, happy. We love our children, we try to meet them where they are at and we don't always succeed. Another friend of ours is single mother of one. She struggles, but makes sure all her son's needs are met. She gives out of love and never stops. She has a good relationship with her ex-husband and he keeps in close contact with his son. She never dreamed this would be how she would be raising a family, but she has chosen happiness in all things and has made her family situation perfect for her.

So, my advice to this friend is to give up what the world tells you is perfect and embrace what God gives. Only this will bring happiness and a "perfect" family.

No comments: