Tuesday, September 1, 2009

So, How's It Working Out?

It's a question I get a lot lately.

Whoever is asking is referring to my returning to the workforce and specifically working 3rd shift and watching the kids at home.

My answer is complicated. I love staying home with the kids. I am usually tired, occasionally exhausted. My house is definitely NOT cleaner than it would be if I were not working. I love that we can have family dinners together. I am usually out of time when it comes to blogging.

It is what is best for our family. For now. I'm in the unique position of making the sacrifices that most of us are used to hearing fathers making to provide. I think of pro golfers and NASCAR drivers. Not the Jeff Gordons or Tigers. The unknowns who leave their families for most of the week, most weeks of the year for their families to have a modest home and food. They aren't living the glamorous life of professional athletes, they are eeking out an existence doing something they do well, but many do as well or better.

All in all, I consider myself in a better position than those men and women. Whether I sleep at day or night, it's in my own bed. When I hear my children's voices, it is in person. Jeff and I have the luxury of being able to have a disagreement now and then not thinking that one of us will be gone for the next five days.

So, it's going well. I have a job in a bad economy. I'll have benefits in about 60 days. I am at home to hear Joey repeat lines from Cars and see Will smile and monitor Shelby's therapy. Am I tired? Of course! I have 3 kids in diapers I'd be crazy to think I wouldn't be job or no. But am I blessed beyond my wildest dreams? Yes and then some.

No comments: