Friday, October 2, 2009

Do I Remember The Gift My Faith Is?

It's a question that I realized this week we sometimes dont' think about, but should.

Lerin, as a convert, has been telling her conversion story. It is deeply personal and extremely moving. Her story reminds me of Paul's and although she avoided being knocked off a horse literally, her revelation is no less dramatic. This week, as I read the third installment, (read the first here and the second here) it occurred to me how as a cradle Catholic, I have had the luxury of always accepting what the Church taught as truth (I realize not all cradle Catholics are in this situation of faith and belief, but many, many are) and not having to reconcile the Church's teachings with ones from another faith background. It also occurred to me that cradle Catholics have their own conversion stories as well.

While I don't know that I have a specific conversion story as I feel mine is still going on each and every day of my life that I believe, I do remember stories of friends who felt like they had a solid faith life and believed until suddenly, life showed them just how much they would need that faith by testing it. I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 13:11: When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

It is in this idea of personal growth and change that we begin to see conversion stories take place. It is in recognizing the gift of our faith that we begin to put childish ways behind us and walk as women and men of God.

No comments: