Monday, September 17, 2007

Our Beanstalk Died

It's not really a beanstalk, but it was getting SO tall, I was beginning to wonder what my husband had traded for it.

This massive plant, which I have no idea what it is, has been growing outside our front window for a little over a month. In a huge thunderstorm late Friday night, it began weeping. Then, yesterday, as I was typing up some homework for my husband (I know, I'm a wonderful wife) I heard a snap sort of like when you crack a joint and it snapped in half.

I thought of several things. I thought of the tower of Babel, being built so high as if to reach heaven, only for God to bring the people down to size by changing their languages. It also reminded me of Daedalus and Icarus, men who wanted to fly, only to get too close to the sun.

It is always a good thing to have high ambitions, to attempt to reach ones potential and beyond, but we must always remember to give thanks to God for allowing us to reach this potential and not grow so high or fast that we forget what got us there.

No comments: