Thursday, February 11, 2010

God Spare Them, Please!

Over the last week we have been waging war in my house. Against colds. Shelby brought one home from daycare that KO'd her for two days last week. She is finally at day 10 and it is subsiding. Just one day later, Will came down with one and at the end of the week, on the day I took him to Myrtle Beach, Joey.

I have to say, my kids are pretty good about colds. Sure they are cranky but I've seen a lot worse. They don't love having their constantly running noses wiped, but they tolerate pretty well. Joey was the only one to spike a temp and Motrin perked him right up. Fortunately, he's my best one about taking meds. And of course, he began crouping, and he did fight the breathing treatments, but overall, it was mild. He spent a night with Daddy in bed, so did Shelby, but they either watched tv or slept, no big deal.

The worst part of all of this is watching them though. Hearing the terrible cough, the awful sneezes, all of it. Logical Kristen knows this is part of growing up and being human. We get sick sometimes. Mother Kristen hates it. Knowing that there is nothing I can do to take this pain from them is really rough. Sure, I have remedies that ease it a bit, but it doesn't end the suffering any sooner. When I get sick myself, the worst part is I'm afraid I won't be able to give them the same care I did while well. And that makes my recovery longer.

It's one of those prices you pay for motherhood that no one tells you ahead of time. No one really can because it's one of those things that until you experience it yourself, you never can quite understand it.

No comments: