Saturday, April 4, 2009

And now, for the most DISGUSTING part of Easter


Maybe you love these little chicks and bunnies, but they are so nasty to me. Always have been. I have tried them stale, microwaved, frozen and fresh. Blech! And my three brothers agree with me.
Yet, every Easter, they would appear in our baskets. We would grumble and complain but they always were there. One year, my brother Mike and I went to our mom and actually told her not to put them in. She looked at us in horror and said, "But it's tradition!"
Remember when I blogged about tradition recently. Yeah, add this one to one that does not appear in our home. Another Easter tradition we don't continue is Easter grass. As a small child it galled me the way it stuck to everything and was a mess that kept on going for months. Ditto for tinsel at Christmas.
People are either love 'em or hate 'em for the most part with Peeps. I have met a few who have never tried them. And a very few who remain neutral. For me, I think it's the combo of that overly sugary coating on the marshmallow. I am weird about textures. That doesn't do it for me. A lot of people don't like the marshmallow specifically, not me. I love it in rice krispie treats and s'mores, but in things like Peeps and moonpies, can't seem to do it!
Now, the really ironic part about all this, is that I LOVE seeing the Peeps in the store as their shapes and colors are always one of the first indications of whatever holiday we happening upon. I find it kind of cool that there is a "Peep culture" out there that demands these treats year round. On top of that, I find people who only like and will eat Peeps at Easter. And believe it or not I understand that VERY well. After all, Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs are not only my favorite Easter candy, they are my favorite Reese's Peanut Butter Cup product and to me they do taste different and better.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I agree. I don't understand what people find so tasty about them. That coating just turns me off every time. Yuck!
And YUM, peanut butter eggs are my favorite. I was just saying this morning how I need to go pick some up.