Sunday, April 5, 2009

Don't Mess With Perfection

Okay, so my mother wanted to rebutt my Peeps post with her s'mores post. And my answer to that is why mess with perfection? Nothing was wrong with s'mores before...

Seriously though, this is an answer I give to many people I meet who are leaving the Catholic church.

The most common complaint I hear is that the Church is trying to control their lives. There are a lot of requirements, I must admit, but should God lower his standards? And what is wrong with trying for something better. We all know that God loves who we are as we are, but He also wants us to be the best we can be. Why should we rest on just good enough, when we know we possess the ability to be better?

Why would you want to leave the Church that is committed to giving you the blueprint to heaven, to helping you get there? Why would you want to be a part of anything that said, "You're okay?" and leave it at that.